Over the past nine years Ingenia has materially changed the focus of the Group’s investment and as a result the scale and nature of the communities the Group owns, manages and develops.
We remain committed to establishing appropriate measurements and setting long-term goals for reductions in energy use, water use and waste recycling. These targets are expected to generate a financial benefit for Ingenia Communities and residents across our Lifestyle and Gardens communities while also reducing our environmental footprint.
In FY21 we made material progress in relation to energy and emissions. Our decarbonisation roadmap is focussed firstly on avoiding and reducing emissions through energy efficiency initiatives and generating on-site renewable energy which will provide a greater reduction in our emissions baseline. The purchase of renewable energy from the grid will assist us in eliminating the majority of remaining emissions, with carbon offsets used to remove what is left.
Current initiatives include:
- Ongoing rollout of solar to our operating communities
- Solar optimisation with battery storage to increase on-site renewable energy use
- Continuing to deliver operational efficiencies – including, but not limited to; LED Lighting upgrades; lighting sensor installation; air-conditioner set points and timers, pool pump timers, hot water heaters, and appliances which are more energy efficient
- Construction of our first Green Star rated community and home, which will be used to further understand the opportunities to reduce emissions and create positive outcomes for future communities
- Introduction of more energy efficient cabins and rental homes
- Creation of new communities which are carbon neutral
- Continuing to report on our energy use and emissions.
For further information on the Groups waste and emissions report, refer to the Sustainability Report.