Building for the future
Building for the future
Our sustainability focus is to ensure that the communities we create today contribute to a better future – for our residents, our guests, our investors, our team and society.
In creating new communities we have the greatest ability to understand and influence environmental outcomes.
Since entering the lifestyle communities sector in 2013 and undertaking our first development, we have continued to evolve the homes and communities we create. This focus encompasses not only the built form, but the social benefits of community living and the financial benefits of an affordable home.
This has seen us implement the following:
- Ensuring that homes and community facilities are designed to generate environmental efficiencies.
- Offer solar on new homes in select communities.
- Evolve our community spaces to adapt to different resident interests and needs – our new communities encompass consulting rooms for visiting physicians and specialists, age appropriate gyms and a variety of community spaces which are tailored to different uses.
Key initiatives in FY21 will focus on furthering our understanding of the opportunities to create more sustainable homes and communities:
- Participating in the Green Building Council of Australia (GBCA) Green Star for Homes Early Access Program which commenced in July with an aim of certifying 10 homes under the draft green homes standard. The first of these homes will be built at Ingenia Lifestyle Plantations as displays and the Green Star certified home will be offered as an optional upgrade. The Green Star homes have a net zero energy target.
- Utilise the GBCA communities rating tool to target a 5 star rating (Australian excellence) for a new greenfield community. This will enable benchmarking of sustainability practices in our masterplanning, design and operation of greenfield communities.
- Continue to build the Group’s internal knowledge base and sustainability practices through Green Star Accredited Professional training for a core member of the development team and education for relevant team members.
These initiatives will help us to understand more fully the impact of our communities on their environment and identify ways to create more resilient communities while refining our sustainability objectives and evolving our communities and homes to meet resident needs and reduce our environmental impact.