With a growing portfolio of communities located across NSW, Queensland, Victoria and Western Australia, the environmental impact of our communities, environmental risks and opportunities to mitigate risks and reduce our footprint are a key focus of our ESG program.
The rapid growth of the portfolio and the diversity of age, location and community types combined with a lack of established benchmarks provides some challenges in generating relevant metrics and targets in relation to environmental impacts and performance. We made significant progress over FY21, in particular setting clear targets in relation to emissions, and establishing reporting protocols as well as publishing our first emissions data.
Over the next year we will further explore the issues, challenges and opportunities around this key area.
We consider the environmental impact and performance of our assets through the acquisition process, as part of the design and development process and in ongoing operations.
Our sustainability focus is to ensure that the communities we create today contribute to a better future – for our residents, our guests, our investors, our team and society. We acknowledge that as we create new communities, we have the greatest ability to understand and influence environmental outcomes.
Our approach to minimising our footprint and creating ongoing positive environmental outcomes is based on the following:
- For acquiring and investing in existing communities, an ESG assessment is part of the due diligence process and feeds into the investment review and approval. Planning, designing and developing new communities (homes, accommodation, facilities) which harness new technologies and materials to generate greater environmental efficiencies. This includes evolving the building methodology to create more sustainable communities.
- Ongoing engagement and collaboration with key industry associations to generate or improve standards and performance tools as well as participation in rating programs.
- Continuous improvement of our environmental data collection, tracking and reporting systems and processes.
- Establishing appropriate measurements and setting long-term goals for reduction in energy use and waste recycling to reduce environmental footprint and generate financial benefits.
- Focusing on impact with direct control (infrastructure and facilities across communities and accommodation) and those we can influence (resident and guest footprint within homes and accommodation).
- Adopting, investing in and implementing feasible technologies and programs directed at reducing environmental footprint at the source and/or through operational efficiencies. Some of the key initiatives include solar installations, LED lighting rollout, deploying energy efficient maintenance programs and equipment, and use of remote sensors to optimise energy consumption in tourism cabins.
- Building internal capability and skills on sustainability practices.
- Continuous enhancement of our sustainability reporting practice in line with international frameworks and standards
For information about our key activities over FY21, our pathway to achieving a net zero operation in 2035 and future objectives refer to the Sustainability Report.
Our emissions reporting is also contained in this Report.