As a Group we are conscious that the diverse communities we invest in, own, manage and develop can have different environmental profiles. With a growing portfolio of communities across Australia, we are focused on understanding and assessing our environmental risks and opportunities, mitigating any adverse effects, and realising opportunities towards creating positive environmental impacts.
The rapid growth of the portfolio and the diversity of age, location and community types combined with a lack of established benchmarks provides some challenges in generating relevant metrics and targets in relation to environmental impacts and performance. Over the next year we will further explore the issues, challenges and opportunities around this key area.
We consider the environmental impact and performance of our assets through the acquisition process, as part of the design and development process and in ongoing operations.
In reviewing our environmental performance and objectives we consider not only the impact of our own operations but the performance of the homes we create within our communities.
To date we have made progress on:
- Continued engagement with the Green Building Council of Australia as we participated in the Green Star for Homes Early Access Program, completing construction of our home at Ingenia Lifestyle Plantations and committing to development of Australia’s first Green Star Homes community, at Beveridge in Victoria
- Extended our understanding of Green Star ratings and internal capacity through inhouse training conducted by the Green Building Council of Australia – two projects are now registered for Green Star – Communities accreditation
- Increased scope and rigor of our ESG assessment framework for new acquisitions, trialling a more detailed process aligned to development and operating programs
- Continuation of our renewable energy and lighting upgrade roll out
- Continuing rollout of energy saving remotes at our holiday parks
- Upgraded existing electric hot water systems in 430 units at 9 Ingenia Garden sites to more efficient heat pump systems under the Victorian Energy Upgrades program and the Federal Renewable Energy Target Program. This upgrade provided our residents with energy savings and a cost benefit
- Installed 5 eco pavilion cabins with low embodied carbon, passive design, and high thermal efficiency at Ingenia Holidays Byron Bay – the first park to install sustainable ModnPods on a commercial level
- Continued to improve our environmental data collection, tracking and reporting systems and processes
- Battery installation at Seachange Toowoomba and Hervey Bay.
Over the next 12 months our focus will be:
- Commence construction on leading Beveridge development – 261 Green Star Homes and Green Star -Communities rating
- Evolve approach to biodiversity and nature related risks, considering Taskforce on Nature-related Financial Disclosures (TNFD)
- Review water data and define water strategy and reporting
- Continue to evolve and refine data capture and reporting
- Work with Prefabulous and the University of Wollongong to innovate and offer more sustainable cabins in our Holiday Parks.